|08:45 – 10:00
||Registration & Light Breakfast Buffet sponsored by Foundation myclimate
|10:00 – 10:10
|10:10 – 10:30
||Keynote opening address
Willie Walsh, CEO, International Airlines Group (IAG) (holding company of Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, LEVEL and Vueling)
|10:30 – 11:20
Can market-based measures such as CORSIA satisfactorily address concerns over growing emissions from international aviation?
- Why does the industry support CORSIA and how does it fit into the aviation sector’s climate goals?
- Can ICAO agreements on CORSIA and an aircraft CO2 standard drive real reductions in aviation emissions?
- How does the sector reach its 2050 long-term target of reducing emissions by half?
- Can technology, operational improvements and sustainable alternative fuels ever replace the need for market-based measures?
Michael Gill, Executive Director, Air Transport Action Group
Tim Johnson, Director, Aviation Environment Federation
Bruce Parry, Senior Environment Manager, European Business Aviation Association
Moderator: Christopher Surgenor, Editor, GreenAir Online
|11:20 – 12:20
What support is there for CORSIA in the world’s regions and can ICAO deliver a scheme acceptable to all?
- What challenges are currently facing ICAO in delivering a successful outcome on key outstanding issues?
- Is there a danger of major aviation countries like China, India, Russia and the United States not joining the scheme from the beginning in 2021?
- What role can ICAO, airlines and NGOs play in helping countries successfully implement CORSIA?
Ismael Aznar-Cano, Legal Officer, DG CLIMA, European Commission
Michael Clark, Deputy Director, International Aviation, UK Department for Transport
Andrew Herdman, Director General, Association of Asia Pacific Airlines
Annie Petsonk, International Counsel, Environmental Defense Fund
Nancy Young, VP Environmental Affairs, Airlines for America
|12:20 – 14:00
||Networking & Buffet Lunch sponsored by Global Environmental Markets (GEM)
|14:00 – 15:00
Given the introduction of CORSIA in 2021, what is the future in Europe for the Aviation EU ETS?
- Should aviation be left out of the next phase of the EU ETS starting in 2021?
- What are the proposals by the European Commission for aviation in Phase 4?
- Can both the EU ETS and CORSIA co-exist as appropriate measures to address EU aviation emissions?
- What are the views and concerns of the European Parliament over CORSIA?
- Are there potential international repercussions from continuing with the EU ETS?
Julie Girling MEP, EU ETS Rapporteur, European Parliament
Damien Meadows, Adviser, DG CLIMA, European Commission
Andrew Murphy, Aviation Manager, Transport & Environment
Sofia Zoe Rohner, Manager, Environmental & Aeropolitical Affairs, Austrian Airlines
|15:00 – 15:45
Approaching carbon markets: the airline and airport sectors’ perspective
- Are airlines ready to engage with carbon markets?
- What are the sector’s concerns and questions?
- What steps do airlines need to take to prepare for carbon offsetting?
- How can airports play their part in helping the aviation industry achieve its carbon emissions goals?
- What offsetting solutions are airports using to meet carbon neutrality under their sector’s own carbon scheme?
Michel Adam, Senior Manager, Aviation Environment, IATA
Andrew Chen, Head of Emissions Strategy, Heathrow Airport
|15:45 – 16:15
||Networking & Refreshment Break sponsored by Ecosphere+
|16:15 – 17:30
||Panel Presentations & Discussion:
How does the international carbon offset market work and does it deliver real emission reductions?
- What is the difference between emissions trading and carbon offsetting?
- What were the outcomes from the recent COP23?
- What is the UN CDM and what changes are being planned post-2020?
- What is the role of the voluntary offset market?
- Which offsets should be included in CORSIA and is there a place for REDD+?
Perumal Arumugam, Team Lead, Sustainable Development Mechanisms Programme, UNFCCC
Dirk Forrister, President & CEO, International Emissions Trading Association
Aki Kachi, International Policy Director, Carbon Market Watch
John Kadyszewski, Director, American Carbon Registry
Margaret-Ann Splawn, Executive Director, Climate Markets & Investment Association
Jessica Verhagen, VP Business Development & Strategy, Ecosphere+
Moderator: Africa Abajas Bermejillo, Head of Aviation Services, Vertis
|17:30 – 19:30
||Networking & Cocktail Reception sponsored by First Climate Markets AG
|Note: content, timings and speakers subject to change at any time.